This travel tip gives you some help if you would like to experience something special during your stay in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- The Summit Road, drive it or bike it or take a bus then walk it. The road (and the Crater Rim Walkway) traverses the crest of the Port Hills, which separate Christchurch from Lyttelton Harbour. Breathtaking views over Christchurch, the Southern Alps, Pegasus Bay, Lyttelton Harbour and Banks Peninsula - often all from the same vantage point. Lots of sheep on the walkways, some of which traverse working farms.
- Lyttelton, the port over the hill from the city, is accessible by car/bus through the tunnel, or by the scenic port hills route via the seaside suburb of Sumner. Although only about 15km from the central city, Lyttelton feels like another world entirely, with its cafes bars shops and locals, its ever-busy port, its stunning hilly backdrop and beautiful harbour.
- Lyttelton Farmers Market is an authentic farmers market in the Lyttelton School grounds every Saturday morning, 10AM-1PM. Not necessarily the cheapest food in town, but always fresh, local, and seasonal. Food available ranges from fruit & veggies to bread, coffee, home-baking, farm eggs, local honey and cheeses, preserves and relishes, etc. There is usually some live music and always a lively collection of marketgoers, great people-watching.
- Punting on the Avon, glide down the river in Cambridge University style with a uniformed boatsman. Punts depart from corner of Worcester Street and Oxford Tce, make bookings at the i-Site visitors' center in Cathedral Square, +64 3 379 9629.
- Antigua Boatsheds, Boat hire from historic British boatsheds for a hands-on water experience.
2 Cambridge Terrace, +64 3 366 5885. Daily 9:30AM-5:30PM summer, 9:30AM-4PM winter. $7/hr canoe, $12/half-hr rowboat, $14/half-hr paddle boat.
- Christchurch Casino, Dress code (jeans now allowed). You get a free meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) if it is your birthday (booking essential, e.g. by phone).
30 Victoria Street, +64 3 365 9999. Open 24 hours except Christmas, Good Friday, ANZAC Day.
- Christchurch Gondola, ride in the enclosed gondola car up to the summit of the Port Hills then view the Heritage Time Tunnel, take an outdoor nature walk, or dine at the restaurant. Three-course meal $60 (including ride).
Base station 10 Bridle Path Road (take Best Attractions Express Shuttle from Cathedral Square, $5 adult, $3 child, or 28 Lyttelton Bus from the Bus Exchange), +64 3 384 0700 (+64 3 384 0707 for restaurant reservations). Daily 10AM-late. $18 adult, $8 child (summer), $17 adult, $8 child (winter).
- Creative Workshops. Spend a day with a local artist or craftsman and share his skills and passion.
- Christchurch to Akaroa Walk, this intense 3-day walk takes you along Summit Ridge and across Banks Pennisula.
24 New Regent Street, +64 3 962 3280.
Christchurch video in DivX Quality:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.Based on a work at Wikitravel.org & Traveldudes.org.