- Berry Springs. The perfect swimming spot is only 45 minutes from Darwin city. Berry Springs Nature Park has shaded picnic and barbecue areas and be sure to keep your eyes peeled for local birds and wildlife. Bring along your goggles to explore the underwater world in the crystal clear pools. free.
- Territory Wildlife Park, Tel: +61 (8) 8988 7200. The Territory Wildlife Park is a popular attraction, home to monsoon and paperbark forests and a wetlands walk. You can stand nose-to-nose with a 3.7 metre saltwater crocodile on a walk through the aquarium tunnel. Don’t miss the twice-daily birds of prey show or animal encounters presentation.
- Bicentennial Park. This scenic stretch of parkland along The Esplanade overlooks Darwin Harbour. It’s a great place to kick a footy, soak up some rays or have a picnic while watching the sun set.
- George Brown Darwin Botanic Gardens. A stone’s throw from the city centre are 42 hectares of gardens that showcase local flora and that of other tropical habitats around the world. Explore monsoon forests, coastal foredunes and open woodlands on a stroll through the botanic gardens.
- Lake Alexander. An ideal spot for swimming all year round, Lake Alexander is popular for picnics and barbecues. Spend the day by the water, have a game of volleyball and tire the kids out on the playground.
- Casuarina Coastal Reserve. The Reserve encompasses 1500 hectares, including 8 km of sandy beaches bordered by dramatic cliffs. Stretch your legs on one of the walking paths or grab a table and settle in for a barbecue under a shady Casuarina tree.
- Charles Darwin National Park. Shell middens in the area indicate that it has been used by Aboriginal people for thousands of years. The Larrakia people are the traditional owners of the land. During World War II, this area was part of a network of military sites that formed Australia’s front line of defence, and as a result there are many bunkers and storage facilities remaining.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.Based on a work at Wikitravel.org & Traveldudes.org.