Queenstown has always something to offer... doesn't matter what time of the year you'll visit.
Here are a few travel tips about things to do:
- Skiing & snowboarding - Four world class ski fields
- Touring - the scenery surrounding Queenstown makes for excellent touring, with lakes, mountains and bush around vineyards and farmland
- Bungy Jumping
- Jet boats. Exciting jetboat rides have been operating near Queenstown for 50 years. The jet boats carry passengers at high speeds over shallow waters performing stunts like 360 degree pirouettes in the water. Here is a Jet Boat Ride video from Queenstown: traveldudes.org/travel-videos/jet-boat-ride-queenstown-new-zealand
- Luge is fun filled gravity ride for all ages and abilities. You control your own gravity propelled vehicle down the track. Choose from two tracks, one scenic and gentle, the other advanced and adventurous.
- Horseback riding. There are some great tours that pick up in Queenstown and take you into the valleys, through rivers, etc. Pamphlets can be collected at any hotel or hostel to explore the dozens of horseback tours
- Parapenting - launching yourself off a hill with a parachute to ride the "thermals"
- White water rafting
- Scenic flights - the helicopter and light aircraft flights around Queenstown and to Milford Sound and Fiordland are rated amongst the best in the world.
- Wine tasting. The southernmost vineyards in the world are close by.
- Cycling - hire a bike for the day and use your legs.
- Fishing - lake wakatipu is known for it's trout. You cannot buy fishes from lakes in NZ, you have to fish for them yourself.
- Cruising - lake cruises on Lake Wakatipu offer great views of the town, surrounding mountains, etc.
- Gardens - Queenstown has a number of superb private gardens as well as the centrally located public Queenstown Gardens jutting out into Lake Wakatipu. The walking track on the lake edge offers excellent views of Queenstown and surrounding mountains.