The islands around Kota Kinabalu, Sabah are pretty well-known and much visited. The islands are located in Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, and is made up of a group of 5 islands - Sapi island, Manukan island, Mamutik island, Gaya island and Sulug island. The most visited islands are Manukan, Sapi and Mamutik.
On your visit to Kota Kinabalu, try to add an island tour to your travel itinerary. Get some sun, beach, water sport, nature and an island BBQ. You can go island hopping, or a more leisurely 2 island tour. Of the available islands, I would go for Manukan and Sapi island. If you take one of the available tours from Kota Kinabalu, a 2 island tour will give you 7 hours on the islands of your choice.
The Adventure Starts
On one of the tours I have found, the itinerary looks like this:
1. Pick up from hotel, transfer to KK jetty, register and proceed to Manukan Island (Pulau Manukan).
2. Enjoy snorkeling, Jet Ski, Para-sailing, Banana Boat ride or a Flying Fish ride, watersports, swimming or hiking, photography, chilling out by the beach.
3. Proceed to Sapi Island (Pulau Sapi) by boat.
4. Enjoy water sports, Jet Ski, snorkeling, swimming or hiking, photography, chilling out by the beach.
5. BBQ lunch on the island.
6. Transfer back to Kota Kinabalu city and hotel in the afternoon.
An Island Tour like this will cost: RM 180 per adult/ RM 135 per child.
The price includes land and boat transfer from Jesselton Point, the jetty where all excursions to the islands start from. It is known to all locals and taxi drivers, located in the heart of Kota Kinabalu city.
It includes the conservation fees which everyone has to pay to visit the islands in Tunku Abdul Rahman Park. You will be accompanied by an English speaking guide, and a BBQ lunch will be provided on the island.
The price does not include:
Camera and video fees, which goes towards the conservation efforts. Snorkeling gear, beach mats and water sports equipment, which you will have to rent from the tour operators on the island.
What else is there?
The water sports aren’t included in the tour price, and the prices are …. well, see for yourself.
1. Jet Ski: Rm 195 per unit for 15 minute rental.
2. Para-Sailing: RM 120 per person for 10-15 minutes, minimum of 2 persons.
3. Banana Boat: RM 40 per person for 15 minutes, minimum 3 persons.
4. Flying Fish: RM 85 per person for 15 minutes, minimum 2 persons.
The Tour Company that runs this tour operates out of Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal. They have been around for a few years now, and they run some interesting tours including climbing Mount Kinabalu and white water rafting. The prices are pretty much the same as charged by other tour companies in Kota Kinabalu. You can visit their website: www.aparuholiday.com.
This travel tip is brought to you by www.AboutSabah.com.