How to get to Fraser Island:
Vehicular access to Fraser Island is by ferry only; thereafter, four-wheel drive vehicles are necessary for transport around the island. Travelers have the option of bringing or hiring their own 4WD vehicle, joining a group from a Hervey Bay hostel, or taking a 4WD tour bus. Vehicle hire is available and tour buses depart from various towns on the Sunshine Coast (Noosa) and Fraser Coast (Hervey Bay).
The following boats serve Fraser Island:
- Fraser Venture (Ph. 07 4125 4444) - vehicle barge that makes three crossings per day from River Heads (10km southwest of Hervey Bay) to Wanggoolba Creek (west of Central Station / Eurong).
- Fraser Island Ferry Service - crosses from Inskip point near Rainbow beach to the southern point of Fraser Island. Most trips originating from Noosa use this service.
A number of charter operators fly light aircraft on to Fraser Island, landing on the main beach (at low tide only).
One of the most enjoyable ways to visit Fraser Island is by 4WD. To visit most of the main sites you should allow three days. You can hire vehicles with camping gear or stay in accommodation on the island.
- Fraser Magic 4WD Hire Family run business, with a Swiss-Australian background. Provides 4wd hire from 2 up to 8 seater landrovers. Accommodation or camping packages available. ph. +61 7 4125 6612
- Other 4WD hire companies serving Fraser Island with self-drive tours include:
Aussie Trax – Tel: 1800062275
Bay4wd.com.au – Tel: 1800687178
Safari 4WD – Tel: 1800689819
Koala – Tel: 180046644
Sunset Safari Sargen Hire
The most popular and comfortable way of seeing Fraser Island is on one of the many guided tours staying in resort accommodation. The vast majority of tour operators depart from Hervey Bay but there are some that will pick up at the Sunshine Coast and Rainbow Beach.
- Fraser Island Tours Travelwild Australia offer small group 4WD tours of Fraser Island for active people, visit the website of call 1800 17 16 16 or +61 8 8843 4159. (www.travelwild.com.au/fraser-island-tours.php)