San Telmo is chock full of hostels and budget hotels making it an affordable option with easy access to downtown. Every other doorway along Carlos Calvo and Chile seems to be a hostel, so that's a good place to start if you show up without a reservation.
- El Hostal de San Telmo Carlos Calvo 614. Tel : 54 11 300 9028. Just off Plaza Dorrego. From 8 USD (25 argentinian pesos). Clean. Kitchen. Wifi and 1 computer for guests. Decent breakfast. Good atmosphere. Barbecue on the roof.Web site.
- The Hostel-Inn Buenos Aires, Humberto 1º 820; tel: +54 (11) 4300-7992, This Hostel is located in the heart of San Telmo, right next to the famous Plaza Dorrego. It offers a shared-kitchen, a dvd room, free internet and weekly organised asados. It´s location in this bohemian barrio means that most sights are in walking distance! dorm: from AR$ 25.
- Gardenhouse Hostel, Ave. San Juan 1271 (San Telmo); tel: +54 (11) 4304-1824., With only 16 beds, a tiny but pleasant hostel, it takes only a hour to know all guests. It is located at the outskirts of San Telmo close to the San Juan metro station. Has an outdoor terrace, but conversation is hard due to the noise of the nearby highway. A dormbed cost 21 pesos (approx. 5.25 euros) per night and comes with breakfast.
- The Hostel Nomade Carlos Calvo 430 (just off Plaza Dorrego) Housed in a renovated old mansion. It is frequently sold out. Decent breakfast of pastries, bread, butter, jams, dulce de leche, coffee, tea, and mate. Four dorms with 6 beds in each room, a quad and two double private rooms. Shared bathrooms, lockers. There is a nice rooftop terrace, a pool table, free internet, and friendly staff.
- Hostel Carlos Gardel 500 block of Carlos Calvo (between Bolivar and Peru).
- End of the World Hostel San Telmo, 818 Ave San Juan, dorms from Ar$ 23 incl breakfast. Situated between two noisy streets and with equally noisy inhabitants, this cheapy is only for those spending the nights with tango and sleeping during the day.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.Based on a work at Wikitravel.org & Traveldudes.org.