In some circles Cape Town is also known as the Cape of Great Events since there are many organized events in Cape Town throughout the year. An official calendar of events is available from Cape Town Tourism.
www.whatsonincapetown.com also has a comprehensive listing.
You can get tickets online at Computicket for most major events that occur in South Africa.
- Cape Town Flower and Garden Show. This annual show (over 15 years now) will be hosted at the Lourensford Wine Estate in Somerset West in October.
- Cape Argus Cycle Tour, Tel: +27 (0)21 685-6551 (email@example.com). March every year. Total distance is 109 km. Start in downtown, cycle down the eastern side of the peninsula, past Simon's Town and back up the western side of the peninsula. Entrance fee is R250 for entrants on the African continent or the equivalent of 50 Euro's everyone else.
- Two Oceans Marathon, Tel: +27 (0)21 671-9407 (firstname.lastname@example.org). On Easter Saturday each year. An Ultra marathon (56 km), a half marathon (21 km) and a number of fun runs ranging from a 56m Nappy Dash to a 8 km walk or run. Maximum 10 000 entrance accepted per year per race distance (fun runs excluded). There is a pricing scale for each of the runs. The Ultra Marathon, R190 for South African residents, R300 for the rest of Africa and R555 for the rest of the world. The Half Marathon, R125 of South African residents, R215 for the rest of Africa and R335 for the rest of the world. The Fun Runs are priced from R10 to R20.
- Cape Town Jazz Festival, Cape Town International Convention Centre, Tel: +27 (0)21 422-5651. Normally held during late March.
- Cape Town Minstrel Carnival, Marches throughout the city ending at Green Point Stadium. Usually New Years day and a couple of days later during January. Also known as the Kaapse Klopse, these brightly dressed singers and dancers spend months preparing for this annual event.
- Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Tel: +27 (0)21 799-8783. 5:30PM to 6:30PM every Sun, late Nov to early April. R50.
- Mother City Queer Project, (email@example.com). Sometime during December each year. Biggest gay and lesbian party of the year. R100 to R350. The sooner you buy a ticket the cheaper it is.
- Spiers Summer Arts Festival, Tel: +27 (0)21 809-1111 (firstname.lastname@example.org). From October to March. Please check homepage for exact dates:
- City Harvest Festival, Tel: +27 (0)21 422-1418 (email@example.com). April 20th 12PM to 10PM and 21st 9AM to 6PM. The City Harvest Festival is set to showcase the Cape’s finest wines, fabulous food offerings, vibrant lifestyle and amazing entertainment making it more than just another wine festival, but a harvest celebration! The season’s final harvest grapes will be delivered by horse and cart to South Africa’s only inner city winery, Signal Hill Winery for pressing. Visitors can then feast and indulge on a wide variety of the Cape’s most renowned wine estates whilst enjoying the musical talents of local vocal, jazz and live entertainment bands. The more serious connoisseur can attend talks by some of the Cape’s well known winemakers on the joys and sorrows of the winemaking process. Chocolate lovers are encouraged to visit as well, with a special chocolate feature planned for the weekend’s festivities. Host venues such as Signal Hill Winery, Café Mao, Riboville, WineSense and Sundance Café will go live with an array of gastronomic gourmet experiences and for those who simply want to enjoy the good things in life, lifestyle retail offerings will also be available.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.Based on a work at Wikitravel.org & Traveldudes.org.