Grand Pacific Drive is a 140 kilometre coastal drive beginning 45 minutes south of Sydney's CBD and travelling along the spectacular south coast of New South Wales.
The drive officially begins at the Royal National Park which is the second oldest National Park in the world. You'll drive through coastal rainforests and villages and traverse along the magnificent Sea Cliff Bridge.
From here, Grand Pacific Drive makes its way into the bustling city of Wollongong. This city is the main 'hub' along the drive, offering lots of adventure activities, great beaches and shopping, fantastic local restaurants and cafes, golf courses, art galleries and more.
Wollongong is also a great place to stay with a huge mix of options from international hotel brands to quaint and unique B&B’s to backpacker accommodation - Wollongong has something to offer any traveller. The drive then takes you through to the beautiful coastal towns of Shellharbour and Kiama and ends in the spectacular Shoalhaven region.
From here, you can experience Grand Pacific Drive’s ‘beyond’, to the Southern Highlands, greater South Coast and then on to Canberra. If you have time, Grand Pacific Drive is also a great ‘appetiser’ to the Sydney to Melbourne coastal drive.
Grand Pacific Drive - must see, must do:
• Be adventurous and tandem hang glide with an instructor at Bald Hill
• Visit Symbio Wildlife Park
• Hop on a Harley Davidson and cruise along Grand Pacific Drive
• Visit the Sri Venkateswara Hindu Temple in Helensburgh
• Feel the adrenaline pumping at NSW’s only beach skydive!
• Try one of Wollongong’s many great seafood restaurants and cafes
• Visit Five Islands Brewery - Australia’s largest micro brewery - and taste some locally made beer
• Feeling energetic? Explore Wollongong via the City Walk map, or cycle along the beachside cycle way around Flagstaff Hill
• Visit Nan Tien Temple, the largest Buddhist Temple in the Southern Hemisphere
• Relax on one of Wollongong’s 17 patrolled beaches
• Take in panoramic views from Mt Keira Lookout
• Take in some of Wollongong’s mining history with a visit to the historic village of Mt Kembla or visit Australia’s Industry World
• Go scuba diving or snorkelling at Bushrangers Bay, Bass Point
• Take a scenic flight over the region from the Illawarra Regional Airport
• Visit Jamberoo Action Park, the largest water theme park in NSW
• Visit the famous Kiama Blowhole and Minnamurra Rainforest
• Sample some fantastic wine and great food at Crooked River Winery and Coolangatta Estate Winery
And ‘Beyond’ - must see, must do:
• Experience the Illawarra Fly Tree Top Walk
• Watch the playful dolphins and whales in Jervis Bay
• Drop in at one of the Southern Highlands three waterfalls: Fitzroy, Carrington or Belmore Falls
• Spend some time in Canberra celebrating our proud sporting achievements and explore our unique political history
Written and contributed by visitwollongong