Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is one of the many national parks that Uganda has been blessed with.
The park occupies an area of 331 km2, and is well known for its forested area, wide variety of trees, and (most famously) for it's gorilla trekking safaris.
About Bwindi National Park
The park has over 320 mountain gorillas. The mountain gorillas are divided into groups, these are:
- Mubare group having 10 gorillas and 1 silver back;
- Habinyanja group having 18 gorillas and 1 silver back;
- Rushengura group with 10 gorillas and 2 silver back and;
- Nkuringo group with 19 gorillas and 2 silverback’s.
The park also provides shelter to primates such as baboons, chimpanzees as well as elephants and antelopes. It also has over 350 species of birds. It also provides shelter to a further 120 mammals including primates. Some of the attractions and activities in the park are wild life, birding, forest walks, and the most dominant activity being gorilla trekking.
Getting to Bwindi National Park
Bwindi National Park is located all the way in the Kisoro District of southern Uganda. Getting to Bwindi National Park can be done either by road using a car, preferably a 4WD, or it can be done by air using a chatter plain. A tour on road from Kampala to Bwindi National park is about 3 to 4 hours drive, well as going by air when you jet in at Entebbe Airport and there after you head to Kajjanse Airfield, which is not far from the airport, and then fly direct to Kisoro just next to Bwindi National park.
Camping at Bwindi National Park
Bwindi National Park caters for all classes of people, from the luxurious to those on a tight budget.
Accommodation options include:
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi is highly organized and there are several accomodation options available for visitors ranging from budget, mid-range to luxury lodges/hotels. Lets look at some of them:-
- Buhoma Community Bandas and Campsites: A wooden floor dormitory costs USD 8 per person while twin and double bandas cost 10 USD per person. Camping is permitted at USD 3 per person. Drinks and meals are all available at a small fee.
- Bwindi Travelers Motel Butogota: Located 15 km from Bwindi, their rate is USD 15.
- Gorilla Nest Campsite: A private set up and cheaper, with stunning views of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park their rates are 8 USD. 2 bed bandas are available at USD 8 single/ double while 4 bed dorms cost USD 6 per person or 20 dollars for a full unit and camping costs 2.50 USD.
- Nkuringo Gorilla Campsite: Located in a beautiful rainforest of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park at a rate of USD 20 per person.
- Mantana Luxury Tented Camps: High end luxury camping, about 1km outside of the park boundary, costing USD 137 per person.
- Volcanoes Bwindi Camp: Attractive camp with a restaurant and bar, as well as a great view over the gallery forest on the park boundary. Half board accommodation costs USD 90/130, single/double. And full board USD 96/ 144, and there is a 25% discount for Ugandans. Meals are available in 3 courses.
- Gorilla Forest Camp: Fabulous tented camp in Bwindi, with its self-contained twin tents, protected beneath a thatch roof extending over a private deck. Meals and drinks are available too, good variety of birds and more occasional monkeys to watch and the rate is USD 137/220 single/double.