The Western United States is home to some of the best parks in the world.
The wide variation in climate, landscape and sparse population allowed the Western U.S. to preserve some of their most incredible natural environments. There are mountains, deserts, and dense forests intersecting this massive area.
When taking a tour to the USA, these are some parks to consider visiting:
- Yosemite is one of the most popular parks in the U.S. The famous cliff Half Dome is one of the most extraordinary hikes in the world winding through waterfalls, forests and cliffs for over 17 miles round trip.
- Yellowstone National Park is home to Old Faithful, a geyser, which “erupts” numerous times a day, and sprays water nearly 200 feet in the air. Other geysers in the park have reached heights of nearly 1/3 of a mile in the air. Yellowstone also is home to one of the most diverse mixes of animals including bison, bears, elk, and mountain lions.
- The Sequoia National Park is home to some of the world’s tallest trees. Visitors will be humbled by the incredible size of the trees. Be sure to walk or drive through the Tunnel log while in Sequoia. The tree is over 20 feet in diameter and fell right on top of one of the few roads that drives through the national park.
- Olympic National Park has some of the most diverse climates of all the national parks. On one end of the park is one of the wettest parts of the U.S. and contains one of the only rainforests in North America. On the other end of the park are ancient glaciers. The park is also subject to earthquakes because of its proximity to fault lines.
- The Rocky Mountains are in fact also a national park, and are better known for the extraordinary ski terrain. Many Olympic skiiers and snowboarders train on these mountains.
- The Grand Canyon is home one of the most unique landscapes in the U.S. The canyon was created by the flow of the Colorado River and at certain points has a depth of one mile. One of the best ways to experience the grand canyon is by whitewater rafting the river. Visitors will surely revel in the incredible size of the canyons. If you don’t have enough time to experience the canyon from the water, there is always the option of the popular day trip from Las Vegas.
There are many other beautiful national parks we could list but hopefully the above gets you excited about the western wonders of the USA, and gives you some great ideas for your first or next tour to the USA.