Sitting in the Balearics, this small island has seen many changes from artists, hippies, ravers and more recently the upmarket clientele have hit these shores with vengeance.
Here are my 5 top tips
- Hire a car - this is a must for exploring Ibiza. Finding small coves with beaches, new restaurants (Sunset Ashram is pretty cool) and villages inland that are virtually untouched by the tourist trail that runs deep in the island. The roads are fantastic to drive on especially up towards Portinatx and San Miguel in the north west of the island. Car hire places are in most towns and resorts, although it is much easier to collect and drop off at the airport.
- Visit the Dalt Vila in Ibiza Town – In 1999 this medieval town became a World Heritage Site. Sitting high above Ibiza Town with ancient walls and a cathedral that towers on the top. Explore the maze of streets and be transported back in time. You will probably get lost but that’s the beauty of it.
- Es Vedra – By Cala d’Hort you will see stunning views of this famous landmark rising from the sea, Es Vedra. Mystery and legends have surrounded this rock island for years from UFO sightings, to it being the tip of the sunken Atlantis. It was used in the movie South Pacific playing Bali Hai and is the third most magnetic place on the planet. It is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen – so much so I got married on a cliff overlooking it.
- Hit the Hippy Market – This is the biggest market on the island in Es Canar. Every Wednesday crowds flock to the stalls to buy art, jewellery, clothes and gifts. There’s usually a band playing and there are places to get food and drinks
- Watch the sunset – Take a stroll down Sunset Strip in San Antonio, get a drink and a good spot whether it be with the crowds or further along in one of the stylish cafes (try Sun Sea Bar). They’ll play music that will coincide with the sun going down and it is truly beautiful.
If you haven’t been to Ibiza due to its reputation of only a party island, please think again - this enigmatic island offers so much more.
Also on a final note, Nostradamus stated that ‘Ibiza will be Earth’s final refuge after Armageddon’ thanks to the islands wind patterns….so what more reason do you need?