I spent 7 days exploring the sights, sounds and tastes of Ljubljana and I still can’t get these thoughts out of my mind.
Prepare yourself now, I’m going to tell you about my experience in Ljubljana, Slovenia and 15 reasons I just don’t think I can go back. You’ll understand, I promise.
Why I can't go back to Ljubljana, Slovenia
1. The pilots on Adria Airways were strange. They were super friendly, always smiling and even allowed us into their cockpit to photograph the views of Ljubljana. Who does that?
2. We had to use manpower to move ourselves from point A to point B. Who wants to ride a bicycle across a city that takes 15 minutes to get across?!
3. They make you sleep outside. Like in the nature, with the birds chirping and the sunshine waking you up every morning. Ugh.
4. The views are simply just average. I could get these lush green views in Kamnik any day of the week in a normal city centre.
5. The forests are too hard to hike through, they’re surrounded by fluorescent blue rivers that block your view of the foot path. You’ll have to stop every 5 minutes to take another picture.
6. The city lights at night are a distraction when walking. I couldn’t help but stare, only to find myself running into people on the streets. Terrible. You simply cannot have city lights that beautiful. It’s dangerous.
7. The city sunsets shine bright through the streets in the evening making everything look like a romantic fairytale. I expected real life. So unfair.
8. The outskirts of Ljubljana don’t offer any extensive shopping malls. Where do they expect me to buy my tourist souvenirs?
9. Their food is so delicious that I ended up leaving Ljubljana with an extra few pounds to show for. Now I have to go running. Who does that?
10. Instead of driving the roads in a tourist van, the tour guides made me get into a kayak and paddle back to my hotel along the Ljubljanica River. Tragic.
11. If they’re not sleeping outside, in Velika Planina they live in these strange huts, sleep by the campfire and watch the sunsets from their beds. Weird, right? Who in their right mind would want to live like this?
12. I thought I was going to be guided in a tourist boat with a man and a mic, but instead Bananaway Tours made me learn how to SUP on the Ljubljanica River. Can you believe it, what is SUP’ing anyways?!
13. Slovenia is home to more than 10,000 caves and I was one of 50 people this year to belay my way through Velika Pasica. Who wants to adventure through dirty caves for beautiful photos? That’s what I thought.
14. To get a good view of the city you have to head to the Ljubljana Castle or make your way up the elevator to the top of a skyscraper. Everyone is scared of heights, why would they do that?
15. They make delicious craft beers, so I forced myself to drink beer at every meal. Just. Can’t. Stop.
So there you have it. If lush green nature is not your thing and you’d rather roam the tarmac streets of a giant city, Ljubljana is not for you. If you avoid all things adventurous and hate biking, kayaking and floating along the river, you better stay at home.
To top it all off, if you’re trying to lose weight and want to avoid delicious, mouth watering traditional Slovenian foods, I can assure you, this is not the place to be.
I cannot go back to Ljubljana, Slovenia because I think I may never leave again.
Travel tip shared by Jenna for Travel Dudes.