Wellington City is surrounded by hills, so there are a number of good vantage points:
- Mount Victoria (196 metres) The best lookout in Wellington. The full 360-degree view is a great place to see the the airport, the harbor, the CBD and the Town Belt with just a turn of the head. It takes about an hour to walk up from Courtenay Place. Many tourist buses go there but also a lot of the locals.
- Mount Kaukau (445 metres) Another great lookout point, not as close to the city as Mt Victoria.
- Wrights Hill More views, and WWII underground tunnels which are open to the public on public holidays for a small fee.
- Brooklyn Windmill Another great place to go to get an excellent view of the city, the harbour, and Cook Strait.
- Massey Memorial An interesting place to go if you want to see a large memorial in the middle of nowhere, with a good view of the surrounding harbour.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at Wikitravel.org & Traveldudes.org.