Experience wildlife and nature - Kangaroo Island is one of Australia’s hidden gems
Kangaroo Island is one of Australia’s hidden gems, and it is a must-see for visitors who love to experience wildlife and nature.
Australia is home to some of the most unique animals on the planet, although getting up close and personal with many of these animals is very rare in the wild. It is for this reason, that most of Australia’s visitors will only see its unique fauna in a zoo. On Kangaroo Island however, you can experience a number of Australian animals in their natural habitat. The island has been dubbed Australia’s ‘Zoo Without Walls’, and is the perfect place to get up close and personal with wallabies, koalas, sea lions, goannas, cockatoos, black swans, echidnas, and maybe even a platypus if you are lucky!
Kangaroo island is located in Southern Australia, and it is the third largest island in the country. It is 110km south of Adelaide, and easily accessible by ferry or small plane. The 4000 residents of Kangaroo Island mostly rely on tourism to sustain their lifestyle. Since ecotourism is the main economic driver on Kangaroo Island, the residents take great pride in practicing sustainable tourism and preserving this diverse environment. Kangaroo Island has earned numerous travel industry awards for their sustainable tourism practices. This helps preserve the experience for future visitors and ensures Kangaroo Island will certainly be a top ecotourism destination for many years.
There are plenty of activities for the adventure seeking traveler and some of the options include:
- Renting a 4x4 quad bike and riding the many bush trails designed specifically for quad bikes;
- Visiting the natural sand dunes of the island and trying your hand sand boarding ;
- Taking a boat ride on an environmentally conscious marine tour and swimming with the dolphins;
- Kayaking the carefully selected coastal locations with a guide and encountering sea lions, eagles, pelicans, swans and much more.
For those looking for a more relaxing visit to the island, you can:
- Visit Kangaroo Island’s lavender farm;
- See how they make Eucalyptus oil at the Eucalyptus distillery;
- Visit the one of a kind Rare Breeds farm and learn about native animals struggling to survive in wild;
- Or relax at the spa! Most of the Spa’s on Kangaroo Island are environmentally focused, and a great experience.
The one thing that is probably on every Australian visitor’s wish list, is encountering a Koala in the wild. There are approximately 30 000 koalas living on Kangaroo Island, and there are zones set up on the island that will allow you to encounter a koala in the wild, while still ensuring that you do not disturb their natural way of life.
All in all, Kangaroo Island is an amazing natural wonder of Australia that is well worth the visit, and will get you in touch with Australia’s unique flora, fauna, and the locals that are passionate about preserving it.
If you are interested in traveling to Kangaroo Island with a tour company that supports and contributes to the local ecotoursim efforts, we recommend checking out Intrepid Travel or Adventure Tours Australia.
Written and contributed by travaddict